There are times when we are discouraged in our prayer life because answers have not come when we pray or just seem to be disconnected from God like we are used to and our calling in prayers is not connecting with the cyber link of heaven. We must take heed to ourselves knowing that praying is the way of connecting with God and having our needs met.
“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” Psalms 139:23-24
There are times that we must search ourselves to make sure that there are no prayer killers in our lives. The list is endless but let us look at few of them here.
- When we lack or could not muster faith [James 1:6-8]
- When one is not converted or involved in discipleship [Luke 13:25-27]
- There is lack in sincerity and obedience to the Lord [Matt. 6:5, 7; Job 36:11]
- When instead of acting on the directives that God has given, we are still praying [Exodus 14:15, Josh 7:7-13]
- When what we are praying for is against the directives of God [Deut. 3:25-27]
- When we are double minded or unstable in our asking [James 1:6-7]
- When we avoid discipline [2 Sam. 12:16, 18; Isa. 1:15]
- When we ask amiss or with wrong motives [James 4:3]. When we have un-surrendered will
- When our sins have separated us from the blessings of God [Isa. 59:1-4]and they are unconfessed … “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me” [Psalms 66:18], but God forgives when we confess our sins and forsake them [James 5:16; Jer. 31:34]
- When we walk in unforgiveness, bitterness [Matt. 14-15]
- When there are idols in our heart [Ezekiel 14:3]
- When we are walking in disunity or not walking contrary to love [John 13:34]
- When we disregard the divine order of things [the way God has arranged that things will be or be done], when we are out of bounds to constituted authority of God and doing things our own way
Please note that if we make a turn around and confess our sins or out of God’s way of procuring answers, God will be willing to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness [1 John 1:5-9]. Make your ways right with God, and he will be willing to forgive and eventually answer your prayers.